Over the last couple of years we’ve run an interclub competition between Armidale, Inverell and Tamworth road racing clubs. This has been a successful event with 53 riders competing in the 2014 competition and interest already growing for a bigger and better version in 2015.
At the Armidale club meeting last week we agreed to discuss further the idea of having a mini-tour, perhaps with sponsorship from local businesses but with the emphasis on individual as well as club performances. This was discussed at the Bundy and Back race yesterday with those riders present and seemed to be of interest.
We are therefore after your feedback for the following idea:
- A mini-tour of 3 handicap races, one run by each club of approximately 40-45k distance. Tamworth: 22 August, Armidale: 29 August, Inverell: 5 or 12 September. Each race would be a ‘stage’ in the overall tour.
- We would recognise first to third place plus fastest time on each stage and also maintain cumulative time across all three stages, with general classification winners on handicap and fastest time with two sponsored jerseys to recognise the overall winners.
- We would also retain the existing club trophy based on points per club for every rider racing.
- On-line entry would enable pre-event allocation of numbers to riders who would use the same number across all three races.
- We would use video finishes to record elapsed and adjusted times for all riders. Armidale will facilitate race data collation and publication of results on website. Other offers of assistance here gratefully accepted.
- $10 entry per race with prize money awarded from entry fees and possible sponsorship.
- Armidale race will be three laps of Long Swamp Road (45km).
- Tamworth and Inverell to have races of similar distance so we can maintain the same handicaps across all three races.
- Handicaps to be based on state grading and the format should fit within normal race sanctions for club racing, but will be Cat 4 due to interclub status. Therefore it will require lead and following vehicles which each club would arrange.
Would this be of interest to you as a club rider in Armidale, Inverell or Tamworth? Let us know by commenting with your feedback or by contacting us via email or phone.